Saturday, January 20, 2018

All The Learning

Currently, I'm reading Of Mess and Moxie by Jen Hatmaker. I'm a huge fan and follow her on social media. I also read For the Love - and after following her and reading her books and listening to her podcast, I feel like she is a friend. She speaks some serious truths and makes me laugh, cry, and think.

As she was sharing in her book about her journey as an author, she mentioned how she is always learning and working on her craft. It really struck a connection with me. Years ago, I had a great leader on campus that would fill us with information and ask questions that challenged our thinking. When she moved on to another role, I was left at first very confused about who was going to feed me (information)? It was frustrating but I'm thankful for that growing pain, because it brought me to the realization that I am responsible for my own learning and I took it from there. I hope I was able to push my students to do the same and now, I was to be able to motivate our staff to want to know more as well.

I love this part of Jen's book. I even made a #BookSnap about it:


She said "The day I stop learning...I need to hang it up" and I thought YES! In this role, all roles, we are constantly learning - most often it is on the job and in the moment (especially as a parent).

Several years ago I was made aware of conferences. Previously, I thought conferences were only for administrators or the people at the top. I had no idea there were conferences for teachers. An Instructional Coach shared a few opportunities with me and I selected a few. Those truly changed my life as an educator, and even my path!

For years when my children were young they took all.of.me. Every. Day. I couldn't even think about reading anything other than Good Night, Moon or Love You Forever. However, as my children grow and gain independence, I find I have time to do things like... read!

However, always as an educator I've learned from others. I value the thoughts and knowledge of those who surround me. ALWAYS I find greater development of ideas from a group than just myself. My students have always inspired me and taught me, as well. Be an inspiration to your students and model what you expect from them each day.

I'm thankful to be in a profession that constantly challenges me. Yet, I also hope those in other roles continue to learn, as well... I hope my doctor, dentist, pastor, etc continue to read and learn and grow. I owe that to myself and to those I get to work with and especially the children I am blessed to be surrounded by.

#PassionForLearning

No comments :

Post a Comment