Saturday, February 17, 2018

Let Them Be Little

I noticed a post by a friend and coworker yesterday on Twitter:

I retweeted it right away but it made me think.

I have the awesome opportunity to observe students working daily in the classroom. My door is always open (unless I'm on a phone call or in a meeting) and I'm able to listen to the buzz on campus. I hear so many things. It is when you are able to watch and listen that you realize so many things that may not occur to you when you are busy leading the learning.

Several years ago there was a shift in expectations for kindergardeners. I was not a kindergarden teacher so I did not directly experience it, but it made an impact on my students as they grew to my grade level. The shift led to the removal of play in the classroom, which was devestating to so many of us as educators. We KNOW that play is needed. Play is when children learn life skills - how to communicate, how to share, how to empathize with others, how to take turns, how to experience winning and losing - all are necessary in life.

A few years ago our librarian began a Game Club after school. To an outsider, it may have looked like they are 'just' playing games but it was a discovery we made that often children do not play board games at home and do not have the experiences of taking turns, strategy of a game, or winning and losing as a good sport. I thought it was genius! In this club, each game had an adult moderating to reinforce important skils. Again, learning these important life skills as they continue to grow and develop are such a foundation of social and emotional learning which are needed.

When I was still in the classroom, the removal of homework movement had begun. At first I questioned it then I began to really consider it. As a teacher, what purpose did homework hold as a learning tool for my students? Did it reinforce skills we practiced in class? Maybe for some. But... for ALL kids? No. Did homework promote good work habits at home? Maybe for some. But definitely not for all kids. When the homework returned to school, did I do anything with it? Sometimes. Then WHY were we doing homework?! Hattie's research shows there is not enough of a benefit to homework. Then I thought... (after seeing ideas on Twitter and Pinterest) why not provide ideas of meaningful activities as suggestions for students to complete at home as homework. I did a choice board with things like follow a recipe (reinforcing following directions, measurement, reading) or play a game outside (exercise, following directions, communication) or write a letter to a friend (writing, spelling, grammar, communication) or read to someone in your family (or a pet - family is busy but pets are present) or create something at home and bring a video/picture to show the class. Sometimes we (the students and I) would come up with ideas to connect to our learning outside of the classroom. For example, a scavenger hunt of shapes in the real world - take a pic, draw a picture, cut out an image, make a list of all the shapes you see. This was much more fun but also didn't hold this heavy weight for my students who cannot complete work at home - we do not know every child's home situation. This is important to me! We may think we know but we do not know. Why assume every child has a parent who sits at the table with them every night to work? Some parents work nights, multiple shifts, do not speak/read English, or are busy driving children to extra-curricular activities. Remove the pressure, for everyone. Encourage play, rest, reading, conversations... not paperwork.

My son's principal spoke to parents at the beginning of the year when she first took the role at his school. Her speech made such an impact on me. Her sons are grown. She reminded us of what we already know, that time goes so fast. She said they will not have regular homework sent home. Instead, read, reinforce manners, play, talk to, and make memories with your children. They will not look back and say, I'm so glad my parents made me do all the homework. They will look back and remember moments that matter. WOW. Yes!!

As adults, we are always searching for balance. Why not help our children keep the balance they already have - work hard, play hard. Kids know when to play and have fun and smile. We need to be sensitive to their need for balance. I watched a bunch of kids on the way out to a field trip this week. They were SO excited - to ride the bus! Gosh, as adults I'm not so sure I feel the same way. They were filled with joy and smiles and laughter. I loved it!

Instead of focusing on if a child can read, write, spell, count at five in order to be successful in school, why can't we focus on reinforcing that balance and building those social and emotional skills to provide a foundation for further learning? To me it is NOT all about academics in life. It is about a well-rounded being and I want to let them be little for as long as they can.

No comments :

Post a Comment